- Gold & Silver Update: Commercials Start Ringing the Cash Register April 30, 2017 The Doc
- Panic Bank Run Leaves Canada’s Largest Alternative Mortgage Lender On Edge Of Collapse April 30, 2017 The Doc
- Mere HOURS Away From $2,000 Gold & $60 Silver? April 30, 2017 The Doc
- April Sees Gold's Highest Month Average Since Oct, Silver's Best Since Sept. as India's Festival Buying Jumps April 28, 2017 Adrian Ash
- Gold Price 'Likely to Rebound' But Silver Tests 2017 Uptrend as Trump's Tax Plan Sees Stock Markets Drop April 27, 2017 Adrian Ash
- Trump's First 100 Days See Gold Price Most Closely Tied Ever to Dollar's Value in Yen April 26, 2017 Adrian Ash
China’s Zhongrun Takes 42% Stake in Gold Miner Noble
Chinese firm Zhongrun Resources Investment Corp has agreed to buy a 42 percent stake in Noble Mineral Resources Ltd for A$85 million ($88 million), sending shares of the Australian gold miner soaring 25 percent.
The move by Zhongrun, a $1 billion company with major stakes in several Toronto- and London-listed mining companies, is the latest in a string of Chinese investments in gold miners.
Demand in China for bullion has jumped, with gold sought for jewelry and as an inflation hedge.
Noble Mineral said it planned to use the A$85 million raised to speed up the ramp-up of its Bibiani mine in Ghana to produce 150,000 ounces of gold a year, pay down debt and expand its resource base.
Zhongrun agreed to pay A$0.16 and A$0.18 a share for two sets of shares to be issued to two different arms of Zhongrun.
It also will be issued options over a further tranche of shares exercisable at A$0.23 a share, or A$55 million, which would increase the Chinese firm’s stake to 51.6 percent if exercised.
The options are exercisable over a three-year period although the period was not specified.
The announcement sent Noble Mineral shares to A$0.15, though that was well short of a record A$0.805 the company’s shares touched last year.
Zhongrun’s move into Noble Mineral follows Shandong Gold Group’s SDONGA.UL plan to buy a majority stake in Australia’s Focus Minerals Ltd, Zijin Mining Group’s takeover of Norton Gold Fields in Australia. China National Gold Group Corp is also in talks to buy a stake in African Barrick Gold Plc (ABGL.L).
Rothschild advised Noble Mineral on evaluating a range of proposals the company received to raise funding.