- The Real Reason For America’s Looming Retirement Crisis April 25, 2017 The Doc
- London Analyst Warns China Ready to PULL THE PLUG, Dump T-Bonds For GOLD April 25, 2017 Elijah Johnson
- Alasdair Macleod Reveals America’s Financial War Strategy April 25, 2017 The Doc
- Gold Bullion Erases $10 Bounce Despite French Election, N.Korea Risks, Imports to China Jump April 25, 2017 Adrian Ash
- Gold Price Sinks as 'Markets Favorite' Macron Beats Anti-Euro Le Pen in France's 1st Round April 24, 2017 Steffen Grosshauser
- Gold Splits from Silver, Ratio Gains Before French Election But GLD Shrinks, 'Safe Haven' Demand Lacking April 21, 2017 Adrian Ash
Indian Gold Demand Muted as Rupee Drops to Record Low
Demand for gold in India, one of the world’s top consumers, stayed muted on Tuesday after prices in the local market rose as the rupee fell to a record low, increasing the cost of imports.
“Rupee is a big negative factor. It is not allowing local prices to move in tandem with world market,” said a Mumbai-based dealer with a state-run bank, which imports bullion.
The rupee plays an important role in determining the landed cost of the dollar-quoted yellow metal. The rupee hit record lows for the fifth straight session, hurt by large dollar demand from oil firms and a weak global risk sentiment.
“Retail demand has gone down and jewellers are waiting for correction. They may buy significantly if prices dip below 28,000 rupees,” the dealer said.
The wedding season is underway in India, the world’s biggest buyer of the yellow metal, and will taper off by the end of the month. The festival season has already ended.